If you are looking for information for becoming a surrogate mother, you have come to the right place! This article shall explain the concept of surrogacy and how you can possibly help a childless couple.
Who is an Surrogate Mother?
A Surrogate mother is a lady who can help a childless couple by carrying their child in her uterus. The surrogate mother would not be genetically related to the child born out of the surrogacy arrangement. The embryos created out of the gametes (egg and sperm) of the desiring childless couple would be implanted into the womb of the surrogate mother. She shall carry the child to the term of the pregnancy and shall handover the child once it is born to the parents of the child.
A surrogate mother can be paid for her services as per Indian laws.
Who can be a surrogate mother?
If you wish to be a surrogate mother, you have to satisfy the following criterion:
- The woman should be aged between 22 and 35 years
- The woman should know to read and write at least one language and preferably should have completed at least her basic school education
- The woman should be in perfect health and have no diseases or mental illness
- The woman should be married and should have completed her family
- The woman should have children of her own
- Husband of the woman and her family must agree to her being a surrogate mother
- The woman should be able to travel to the hospital frequently and be able to subject herself to medications
Women who have completed tubectomy would still be eligible to be surrogate mothers
What are the stages in a surrogacy arrangement?
The following are the stages which any surrogacy arrangement would normally go through:
- Completing of the application form for being a surrogate mother
- Medical Screening upon selection by a childless couple
- Meeting of the desiring parents
- Signing of the surrogacy agreement
- Embryo transfer
After the embryo transfer is completed, the surrogate mother can either stay at her own house or with the desiring couple during the period of the pregnancy.