Conceiving a child is not as simple as it should be for some couples. Many couples experiencing medical complications in fertility matter may be able to achieve parenthood only with the help of an egg donor. Examples of such cases are women who may be born without ovaries; or are able to produce eggs, but the quality of such eggs would not be sufficient to produce a healthy child. In many such cases, the parents would not be able to achieve parenthood without the help of an egg-donor.
Egg donor is a woman who is willing to donate her eggs to help an infertile couple achieve pregnancy. The egg donor can be compensated for her time spent in the process.
How does Egg Donation Work?
In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF), commonly known as 'test-tube baby' technique allows the fertilisation of egg with a sperm outside the body. If a woman cannot become pregnant with her own egg due to poor quality of the eggs, then she can use an egg donor for becoming pregnant. Using Artificial Assisted Reproductive Technology, the egg from the donor could be fertilised using the sperm of the desiring father. The resultant embryo would then be placed into the womb of the lady, who wishes to carry the child. By this way, the desiring other can become pregnant with an embryo that was created with the egg from a donor and the sperm from her husband.
The egg donor would remain anonymous and cannot claim any rights over the child. She would not be meeting the intended parents for whom she is acting as an egg donor and would not the details of the child for whom she is acting as an egg donor. The Egg Donor would be compensated for her time and effort and she is not required to spend on medications.
Requirements for Becoming an Egg Donor
GiftLife Egg Bank follows stringent requirements for being an egg donor. The following are some of the basic requirements for being an egg donor:
- The Donor Candidate must be with 21 and 29 years of age
- The Donor Candidate must follows healthy lifestyle and have no genetic or communicable diseases
- The Donor Candidate must have regular monthly periods
- The Donor Candidate must not have reproductive disorders or abnormalities
- The Donor Candidate must be physically and emotionally healthy
- The Donor Candidate must have a BMI under 29
- The Donor Candidate must be Non-Nicotine user, Non-smoker and Non-drug user
- The Donor Candidate must be willing to undergo medical and psychological evaluation
- The Donor Candidate must be willing to take qualified medical team prescribed medication
- The Donor Candidate must be willing to attend to doctor's appointment for a minimum period of 15 days
Usually, donor candidate having a good education and qualities are more sought after.